The Council has the following obligatory duties of:
- Regulating and controlling the practice of Building technology in all its aspects and ramifications.
- Conducting Professional Accreditation of Tertiary Academic Institutions and training facilities for the Building profession (Universities & Polytechnics).
- Conducting professional examinations/interviews for those who are aspiring to qualify to practice the profession in Nigeria.
- Maintenance of discipline within the profession.
- Registration of would-be professionals.
- Organizing and conducting Continuing Professional Development Programmes for the registered persons.
- Performing such other functions conferred on the Council by the enabling law.